Support of shell user element (US3)

CalculiX have shell element with classical formulation, even limited still it can be useful for complementary purpose. Unfortunately, his option is not available in current PrePoMax version, make it impossible to be used by Keyword Editor.

further support can be great, including input preset definition, output setting and precalculated results (resultant displacement & Mises stress)

The shell formulation is implemented as element US3 in CalculiX and can be used for static and dynamic linear elastic (small deformations) calculations under the consideration of isotropic material properties.

example input preset,

*USER ELEMENT,TYPE=US3,NODES=3,INTEGRATION POINTS=3,MAXDOF=6
*USER SECTION,ELSET=Element_Set-1,MATERIAL=S235,CONSTANTS=1

output request

*EL FILE
SNEG,SMID,SPOS

The current limitations of this element could be problematic - there would have to be a warning about them at least.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any further development regarding this element but I can ask Guido about it when I contact him in the near future. I suspect that he doesn’t plan to extend its capabilities though.

indeed, that what i was thinking also. Required to trace all the limitation, currently i’m only know at edge loads in conversion to nodal loads.

maybe an option to overwrites from ‘S3’ to ‘US3’ is possible, so a user not required to exit.

it seems the development is continued by the code contributor, is in composite and large deformation analysis. However, it’s not yet implemented and available in CalculiX.

Currently, it’s easier to export the input file and modify it outside of PrePoMax for this purpose. Otherwise, keyword editor allowing modificafions of existing keywords (as discussed here: Keyword Deactivation) would be needed.

If this is the only setting that needs to change, I can add it. How are such elements post-processed? Is it possible to open the results in PrePoMax currently? Are the results reported in the global coordinate system?

Thank you, i hoped it’s still possible in tracing the limitation by solver error not PrePoMax. The solution is quite easy by switching back to S3 element type when the problem occurs.

Output results can be opened properly, some improvement and addition is required i.e units, displacement resultant and Mises stress.