RBE3 integration in PrepoMax (Kinematic & Distributing Coupling)

Since Calculix is supporting the implementation of Kinematic and Distributing coupling the integration of such a Feature would be very handy. I managed to set it up with the keywords editor but it is very frustrating and prone to errors.
To implement it in the Keywords a couple of steps are necessary, like:

-Creating a surface
-Creating a node
-Creating the coupling and referencing the node
-Choose Kinematic or coupling
-Create a load keyword for reference node
-Create a boundary keyword for reference node

All of those are seperate keywords. :unamused:
RBE 2 is already implemented in my opinion by choosing the rigid body constraint.
What do you think?

Best regards

2 Likes

Some of these steps can be already completed without keywords - you may create the surface, reference point as well as load and BC for this RP. In the Keyword Editor, you just have to define the coupling constraint itself and reference the surface and RP created before. But in general, I definitely agree that kinematic and distributing coupling constraints would be a nice addition.

1 Like

That is a feature that has a long waiting time on the to-do list. Since there are some problems using the rigid-body constraint with the structural elements (shell) I decided to wait for a while. And I have no experience using them with structural elements so I do not know how they behave.

1 Like

in previous versions of CalculiX (CCX v2.12) coupling type distributing works properly for any load type including concentrated forces and moment/torque. however it seems some code has modified by developer, it did not work anymore for all loading types.

i tested with current version of CCX (v2.19) also. unfortunately, it’s only work for concentrated forces and not for moment/torque.

attached a simple example of PMX files for those who interested to test.

due to some limitation as observed, *Distributing Coupling keywords and element type Dcoup3D could be used for implementation in PrePoMax before *Coupling type Distribution is fixed and working properly. it will eliminate a user to strictly use for displacement or concentrated forces only.

1 Like

i try to seek a cause of problems by reading the documentation again, *Coupling type Distributing is now working properly for any loading types. Someone required to edit the input files manually for Ref node and Cload as shown below.

Hopefully these approach are interested to implemented in next versions of PrePoMax.

These features are indeed very needed in engineering practice. But there are some other priorities at the moment and when they are finished these features will be implemented.

3 Likes

thanks for interested to implement, may i do typo “next” should be “future” typing and interpret. there’s no any urgent features for me, as many user is enough when the features and proposed ideas are in to do list of future development. also PrePoMax - Edit keyword features is useful and working for any CalculiX features were it did not yet available trough GUI’s.

*Coupling with *distributing just works for distributing forces and moments but not for displacements.

At least you can apply loads and get the average displacements and rotations by *section print.

2 Likes

right, as latest document says it’s only work for loading type only (force/moment). in case displacement type translation of boundary conditions, document guides to use kinematic coupling or dcoup3d element. been tested of both approach and it seems to work properly, but i’ve not found in case of displacement type rotation bc’s using coupling features. only rigid body constraint is applicable.

**edited
reading the documentation again, i found another approach to apply dsiplacement type rotation to a set of nodes. mean rotation MPC could be use.

Hello all,

As I mentioned in this post here, Coupling → Distributing is not working for me but Distributing Coupling with Dcoup3D is working perfectly fine for me for RBE3 connection.

depend on analysis cases, *Coupling type *Distributing will work for bc’s type force, it will similar to RBE3. can not be used as connector of element (e.g beam and shell). *Rigid body constraint also the same, except in over-stiffening the model. it may similar to RBE2

*Distributing coupling with Dcoup3d element also will gave similar with RBE3 for cases a connector between element, but limited to translation only. not has any rotational transmitted.

even though it’s not general way as rigid body, limited on boundary condition type forces only still coupling has advantages to avoid over-stiffening models.

may some scenario or working flow is required on *Coupling type *Distributing, the reference point only shown and available on Load type.

or may it’s available at BC's menu also, but has a restriction and some messages shown when the user selected reference point from coupling.

i try to define *Coupling type *Distributing by the working flow of *Rigid body available in PrePoMax. It found to be different in nodes number and DOF’s of Moment loads.

** Name: Moment-2
**Cload
**3460, 2, 20000000
** Name: Moment-2
*Cload
3459, 5, 20000000

Another disadvantage is in visual presentation, symbol can not be shown. Even the results given clearly it was properly assigned

hopefully an option to switch between *Rigid body and *Coupling type distributing will be available in “Concentrate Force” and “Moment” menus of future versions. So, manually add using Edit CalculiX Keywords feature and problem in symbol visualization can be eliminated

I have a plan to add a new constraint type that will be displayed as the rigid body.

1 Like

so many thanks, it seems can be useful feature.