Stress Concentration Factor Issue

Hi everyone,

We get a problem while we are analysing on rod end’s port. There is a radius on the ort and it’s causing a irregularity. I mean the values which we measured is not lineer on same line. It is increaing at some points and then suddenly the stress is decreasing. We were at sure what’s problem if it is lug or somethingelse. Because we there are big differences with our hand calculations.

Thank you all for your helping.

I guess you have alrready check that geometry, loads and BC Symmetric and that all the nodes are at the same plane. In the picture it looks very smooth transition to me.

¿Are you using linear or quadratic elements? ¿Are midnodes on top of the geometry?

That could be a reason. If you started your mesh with linear and later you change elements to quadratic.

1 Like

Maybe you could use submodeling to reduce the size of the model and be able to refine the mesh even further.

Those are second-order tetrahedrons, right ?

1 Like

The images show a very smooth stress field regarding colours. The nodal values show a little change in value from 154,9 MPa to 153.8 MPa. The reason is that the finite element mesh is not fine enough. But I would ask myself if this change is relevant. It is equal to 0,7 %, which is in an engineering sense negligible.

1 Like