Non- Linear analysis of a bar subjected to tensile load

I have carried out the analysis of a round bar subjected to a tensile load. I have considered the non-linearity of the material. But an error occurred in the analysis. I have attached the PrePoMax analysis file with this.
Thank you

We Transfer Link of the analysis file: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Plasticity is causing non-convergence in this case. You may have to change the definition of the plastic behavior. First of all, use zero plastic strain for the first point. Then try providing more points and adjusting the values.

If it doesn’t help, try displacement control and different boundary conditions. You could also use axisymmetric model for this study.

What is displacement control?

Hi @TOMIN!
as @FEAnalyst said, you should provide a proper plastic curve data in your model, the actual one started with a non zero plastic strain value and extend its range adding more points to the curve (fitting material real behavior)

In addition to that, I have noticed that the applied load is really high for the net section area of the bar, making difficult to achieve convergence under your actual configuration (mesh, material data, load steps…), and even could have no sense for a non linear static analysis.

My recommendation, fix the material data and start with a a more discrete load magnitude if you are just testing PPM. If it is not your case, try with a displacement controlled approach.

Regards

1 Like

Pulling the bar with prescribed displacement instead of force.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the explanation…

Now its working. I changed the plasticity parameters and reduced the load.

1 Like

I am attaching the analysis file of the same bar supported at both the ends and non - linear analysis is carried out. I have changed the plasticity parameters and reduced the load. But an error occurred.

Same recommendation for this bending case, review the load magnitude and its application scheme, it seems to be extremely high for your non linear static model. What are you trying to represent with these models? are just for testing purposes?

1 Like

Applying concentrated force to individual node is very risky. In this case, it may cause problems with convergence of plasticity algorithm.

It’s better to start with linear case, verify the results and then add nonlinearities one by one to see if the model converges.

2 Likes

I am actually trying to analyse a steel wire net considering it’s material non linearity.