Shell Elements - Mid plane results in post processing

Hello, I am new to PreProMax and CalculiX, and I have a query about processing results for shell elements. I understand that CalculiX expands shell elements to 3D solid elements. However, I am interested in finding out whether there is a way to extract mid-surface stress results from the analysis output. Can you please guide me on how to obtain such results?

If you select 2D output in the Field output of the simulation step you will get stress interpolated between the top and bottom shell surface.

1 Like

You have to be very careful with such results:

If OUTPUT=2D the fields in the expanded elements are averaged to obtain the values in the nodes of the original 1d and 2d elements. In particular, averaging removes the bending stresses in beams and shells.

1 Like

It has been discussed at another threads, without further calculation it’s only possible by using two layer of shell element. Hiding one of two layer make it possible to display stress at mid plane.

It may still appropriates for shell with thin and moderate thickness. In case of really thick and stocky members with point or line loads, even CalculiX model’s capable still this may lead to discrepancy since the stress along thickness is not linear.

Thanks all for the prompt reply and support it is appreciated.

Synt I will look for the thread you are referring to as it would be helpful to be able to view the bending stress and mid plane stress in a single analysis.