Performance issue running GUI of PreProMax 1.3.5.1

Hello,
I am quit new with PreProMax. I am impressed about the features. Great work!

I startet to run some analysis in heat transfer and was wondering why the performance gets very poor when aplying a concenreated flux.
The model (a block with several holes. In one hole I aplied the flux) has Nodes: 730090 and Elements: 475103. Without the load displayed it is easy to move and turn the hole thing with the mouse very well and fast. If the Load ich activated it is more ore less not possible to navigate with the mpuse (everything is so slow…)

Typically, concentrated forces and fluxes are applied only to individual nodes, not to whole surfaces (for that there’s surface traction and surface flux loading available). With so many nodes selected and each one having a load symbol displayed it’s rather normal that the software shows performance issues. You can observe the same e.g. in SolidWorks Simulation.

1 Like

Hello,
thank you for the quick reply. I still have doubts that there is another problem. The number of selected nodes in this hole are about 866. When I looked at the model, I noticed that the selection is displayed incorrectly
Image flux1 shows how it is displayed, but selected was the hole to the right of the nodes highlighted in red. Image flux2 also shows that the displayed nodes do not match the position of the hole. How can this be?
With kind regards

flux2

flux3

This is picture flux3

I think that it’s just a matter of perspective. If you selected the nodes correctly (as desired) there’s no reason for the highlight to show different nodes.

If something is wrong with the selection, can you make a close-up image to see which nodes are selected? The selection is drawn on another layer that goes over the geometry, so it is always visible.

It the close-up does not look ok, can you share the model?

Thank you very much for the reply.
I checked again, and it seems that the nodes appear as selected in the closeup.
As you said, “The selection is drawn on another layer that is on top of the geometry so it is always visible.” I understand that it looks like the selected nodes are in the foreground. So the selection might be ok!

What surprised me in the first place wasthat GUI performance is excessively reduced after selecting less than 1000 nodes.

Unfortunately, as a newbie, I am not allowed to attach a model. I tried it with a simple block with one hole. Without the Concentrated_flux load, the model can be rotated very quickly with the mouse and the movement follows the mouse movement. With this load, the model jumps only after a certain time and precise rotation is not possible. (The same effect applies to pan and zoom).

Regards

You can upload the model on some hosting website like Google Drive or Dropbox and share the link here. But, as I said before, I’m afraid that the performance issue might be unavoidable here.

As already said, you probably need a surface flux. A concentrated flux is applied to each node on the model. So usually, you only need a couple of them. In such a case, there is no problem with performance. But if you select 1000 nodes, the specified flux magnitude will be applied 1000 times.

If you really need the concentrated flux on so many nodes and the performance is a problem you can hide its symbol by right-clicking it in the tree and selecting Hide.

Yes, I understand that now.
How ever your software is almost great an I like it.
One more question to under stand the concentrated flux. The flux value entered in the Input field (Say 10 mW) is it aplied to each node or is it distributed to all of the nodes?

Thank you.

It’s applied to each node.