Orthotropic material support

Because ccx can support orthotropic materials, it would be great if PPM could support orthotropic materials, and it would be even more perfect if it could support composite materials.

10 Likes

That would indeed be awesome.

Indeed, I already asked for this. Material orientation is absolutely a great feature to implement.

I have small experience in the subject. If you need help don’t hesitate

Thank you very much for your sugestion.
I notice that ccx only support *Element, Type=S8R, while PrePoMax only support Type=S8, which must be modified in the inp file. and can not modified in the PrePoMax. The other problem is for the *Orientation,i don’t know how to model a double curved shell since the orientation always changed in different element.
Do you have any good suggestions?

Calcilix supports both, S8 and S8R elementes. In PrePoMax the selection can be done using the Part->Edit option:

2 Likes

Composite and Orthotropic material properties would be really great

Thanks a lot for your help. i got this function. i have made a composites shell analysis with Calculix Keywords in PPM and looks well.

1 Like

Hello @blueangel, could you share your input file?
Did you model a multi-layered laminate? How can you do this from PrePoMax?

To be able to define a local element COS for solids based on either a global cartesian or cylindrical COS would be fantastic. Even standalone, because one could examine stresses in directions that are relevant to a specific section of a design.
If combined with orthotropic materials in a second step, even better. Because this would unlock composite analysis (actually any type material combination).
Thirdly, one could implement material stacks per element. Enabling stacked composite brick elements.

@blueangel Could you share how you have accomplished this? Custom keywords? Would be highly appreciated.

hi,

basic of layered shell (composite) can be found in official examples Reinforced concrete cantilever beam as shown below.

also you need a keyword *Elastic,Type=Engineering Constants for orthotropic materials and *Orientation to defined fiber axis. .

best,

composite_shell_peek.inp (8.4 KB)
i made this by keywords!
sorry for reply so late.