Installation of PrePoMax

I just downloaded latest release of PrePoMax, unzip it and try to run it (also checking that Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 is on my computer). The incoming splash window appears along with GUI in the background, but no further progress is made. The only option is to kill the window or corresponding process.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

What is your operating system ? Any unusual configuration ? Did you try using compatibility mode ?

I use Win10 Professional, no special/unusual configuration. I just tried PrePoMax on my business workstation (also with Win10 but Enterprise) and it works fine there.
OK, let me try with compatibility mode …

Thanks.

I have not been aware of this problem. Could you try a different base folder? Like c:\ directly. PrePoMax is not installed and, as such, does not have administrative rights. So putting it in a system folder like c:\Program Files\ will not work.

I have tried in compatibility mode, but situation is almost the same (the only difference is that splash screen dissapear).

Yes, if I put it under “Program Files”, it does not allows to run. I have tried on several locations under “D:” but no difference … same as initial issue.

It seems the program is stuck at creating the 3D view. since it is based on the VTK library, I wonder if you have ParaView installed and if ParaView works (it uses the same 3D library).

I do not have VTK library, neither ParaView. On the business workstation, there is also no ParaView installed but PrePoMax works fine (and I do not think VTK library is there).

The VTK is a part of the PrePoMax and is not needed separately. I was only wondering if VTK is working on the “problematic” computer. To test this, I thought of running ParaView since it also uses VTK. But if it is not installed, don’t bother.

Can you try to download and start some previous versions of PrePoMax?

I have tried several version:

• v0.8.0, v1.0.0., v1.1.1, v1.2.0 work
  • opposite, v0.6.0, v1.1.0., v1.3.0, v1.3.1 and v1.3.4 do not work

Hope it helps find a root cause.

Should I try to install ParaView?

No, that will not help. I looked at the code (compared versions), but I could not find the root of the problem. I could add some error logs to the code and send them to you, and then you would send the error logs to me but I don’t really believe that will help. Do you have the newest graphics drivers installed?

Even with the latest update of graphic card driver, no improvement.

Do the versions that start correctly also work? I mean if you can run an analysis and get the results?

ÂżHave you try excluding the installation folder in the antivirus?
ÂżHave you look if there is any silent warning from the firewall during the installation process?

I have win10 Pro 21H2 and it works fine.

Yes, I run the analysis on v0.8.0 and got the results.

I completely “kill” the antivirus but did not help.
No silent warning from the firewall.

I have no more ideas about what you could try. I can prepare the executable with more logging output if you are ready to try it out. but I think we will need more than one iteration to figure out why it stops and how to solve it.

No problem from my side to investigate more … if you are willing as well, let’s go :smile:

1 Like

Do You have 2 graphics cards? I mean a separate one and an integrated with motherboard (or laptop with 2 GPUs?)

If yes, try to turn off (temporaty) one card, and test program.