Funding, donation and sponsoring for PrePoMax development

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask if it is possible to create a funding/donation/sponsoring program for PrePoMax development. This would help Matej in its amazing job keeping the software alive and continuously being developed, and maybe new developers could be hired for general development or even specific projects that are relevant to the community or people/companies that want a specific tool to be created.

Something similar happens in FreeCAD: FreeCAD: Your own 3D parametric modeler

The purpose is not to make commercial software by any means but to help this open-source project become better while supporting those who develop it.

Best regards,
Lucas

3 Likes

This has already been discussed in the past here: Patreon or similar service?

2 Likes

I remember this thread but could not find it, thanks! I guess the idea did not proceed there, so I would like to ask again for this :grin:

Even if not a big amount of money is raised in the beginning, I am pretty sure it would help.

2 Likes

Help with coding could be even more useful. There have been a few volunteers (recently this one: Orhotropic material property definition (#34) · Issues · Matej Borovinšek / PrePoMax · GitLab) but more would be needed. I plan to work on my poor coding skills this year (I started slowly with some minor FreeCAD PRs) and get more familiar with PrePoMax source code to help a bit with that. Hopefully, more people will join in the future. At least to help with less complex stuff like improving the INP importer or adding small new features based on the existing ones.

4 Likes

I would love to support as well. I have little experience with C#, but I’m willing to learn and help out. Maybe starting with low-hanging fruit tasks, but I would prefer to have the direction coming from Matej since he already has many ideas on implementing or improving the code.

3 Likes

Yes, for sure! I think this is the main idea: to connect those who want (and can) help with money to fund the development of those who have availability and coding skills to implement the new features and solve bugs.

3 Likes

I am happy, verry happy for any kind of support. Posting comments, suggesting features, reporting bugs, helping with the code development and sending money. I think the the first three items are already functioning through this forum (thank you guys!) so now could be the time to think on how to improve the last two items.

3 Likes

Regarding the parallelization of code development, again I would like to mention how FreeCAD handles this. A simple kanban board (backlog, to-do, in progress, impeded, done…) would do the trick. It seems that GitLab has it as well.

I might not be the best coder out there, but I would gladly help organize it and even submit small fixes when possible.

2 Likes