Computation Time Indicator

Hi - Is there please an indicator of time or percentage of time remaining in a simulation please, as this would enable an indication of how long a simulation is likely to take to complete ?
Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

No, unfortunately, such output is not given by the CalculiX solver.

You can only check the convergence progress in the job monitor but it may slow down or speed up depending on how well the particular analysis converges. That’s why it would be hard to provide a simple progress bar. Convergence plots could be used instead but they only provide the same data as solver output files, just in a graphical form.

1 Like

In this post, I asked about the possibility of including a visual feature to follow the convergence of the analysis based on output CalculiX already has available. It can not estimate how long it takes to complete, but at least the anxiety is accommodated a little bit.

1 Like

It would be nice to have such plots. As a side note, Abaqus also doesn’t have them (just pure log file convergence output and Job Diagnostics window showing a tree with increments, attempts and iterations including convergence parameters such as residuals and corrections with an option to highlight a node with their maximum values - can be helpful for debugging). However, the 3DX platform using Abaqus as a solver added plots to that. They include:

• total time vs increment
  • step time vs increment
  • time increment vs increment
1 Like

Thank you to all for the replies :grinning:

I think another useful metric of time would be time per iterarion. This could help estimating. For example, if each iteration takes 1 minute and each incremental step takes about 10 iterations to converge (unknown a priori but just for sake of discussion), then you can decide if it is worth the wait or not…

I heard Ansys have this features and maybe based on statistic, but did not know how good in estimates. It seems a total times of finished computations are hard to estimate due many variable and complexity.

I always seeing residual forces from CalculiX log to estimate how long lit will be. An additional information about a time to finish of each iteration can be useful, even is not always proportional to the next iteration. I frequently found an impulse time or large reduction of time when the model nearly to convergence.

Another useful features ate plot of graph residual force, it’s nearly convergence when the graph is moving down. However, this is still can not always related. Probably the graph will jump and impulse due to the solver and complex models are seeking equilibrium path or movement.

1 Like