Are crash logs an option?

Hi,

I quite often have crashes shortly after opening PrePoMax (usually when importing the geometry or meshing). They happen on different computers and they are random so there’s no way to repeat them with a specific sequence of steps and thus it makes no sense to report them. I wonder if other users experience them too. Fortunately, PrePoMax can recreate the model after a crash (btw. Abaqus has a nice feature that allows users to skip the last command during recovery - can be useful for repeatable crashes caused by a specific operation in GUI, maybe PrePoMax could have that too). Anyway, would it be possible to add an option to generate some crash logs so that users could share them on the forum when the software crashes randomly, hoping for a solution to the problem ? Would such logs provide any useful information or is it just not possible to obtain valuable crash logs from this kind of portable Windows application ?

1 Like

Occasionally same happens to me.

The same happens to me. And I am sorry, but I cannot find the root of the problem. I feel it was not so bad in the previous version, but I might be wrong.

I am confident that the error is in the graphical library VTK or the C# wrapper for that library. Both of them were open source for a while, and then the wrapper became a proprietary software. So, I am stuck using the last version of the open-source wrapper and have no options to change it or/and fix the problems.

Since I observed this problem during debugging and the debugger cannot determine the root of the problem, I doubt the log will help.

One solution would be to buy and use the commercial wrapper in PrePoMax. PrePoMax could still be open-source, but one must own the commercial wrapper.

The other solution is redoing 1/2 of the PrePoMax to use another graphical library. Uff.

1 Like

In my opinion, the crashes are not so frequent and not so bad (especially since there is that model regeneration feature) to require such drastic approaches. Maybe there will be other, less invasive solutions/workarounds in the future. For now, I just wanted to make sure that logs won’t help, I was expecting this to be the case. Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

For me, the crashes are bothering me. And it is very strange that they mostly happen at the beginning when the model is loaded. I have a feeling that I could do something to circumvent them but since I don’t know the cause it is hard to do.

I really don’t mind the crashes either because of the regeneration feature. It’s a minor inconvenience for what is already such an excellent free tool. It may just give a perception to new recruits that PrePoMax is buggy, which we know is not the case.

That bothers me the most. Especially when I work with students, and the software crashes right at the start. And then it does not for another 2 weeks.