Reference Point Identification

Since it is impossible to visualize the reference points in the results section, I was wondering if they could be identified with a number such as a node: So, that we could identify them with the query tool for example?

I output RF on the points before running the simulation. It has 2 different numbers (one for the RF1-3 and a different one for the RM1-3) (2d Axisymmetric). These 2 ID numbers can not be found. I thought of outputting the Force rather than the Reaction Forces of my reference point. Does it make sense?

Thank you,

VR

Internally, each reference point is turned into 2 nodes (REF NODE and ROT NODE of rigid body constraint). Their numbers can be found in the keyword editor or in the history output. But you are right that those nodes can’t be highlighted with the new Find tool or Node set → ID selection since they are internally generated.

1 Like

The reference points are currently assigned the node numbers only when the .inp file is created. Before that time, they do not exist as nodes and thus have no node ids. If some parts in the assembly are remeshed and the number of nodes changes, then the reference point node ids will probably also change.

Thus, maybe a better idea would be to create the reference point nodes with their ids when the reference point is created. But this would affect the node numbering of the entire assembly so it is not a great solution.

1 Like

I tried adding another unused node to the node set of the rigid body definition on the position of the reference point, and then I hoped this node would be stored in the results file. It is not. So maybe adding a dummy hex element in the position of the reference point could work? But some properties would have to be assigned to it.