Quasi static compression test

I want to do quasi static compression test by applying static strain rate (<10^-2/s) and want to observe the behavior till fracture point of the structure. Can anyone tell me how can I do it? I could not able to find the options. My BCs are one end of structure is fixed and the other end displacement is applied so that it compresses.

You could use the Dynamic step for that. Implicit or explicit, depending on your case but implicit should be sufficient here. Amplitudes will let you control the load variation in time.

Recently, the strain rate-dependent Johnson-Cook plasticity model was added to CalculiX. It’s not yet supported in PrePoMax but you can add it via the Keywords Editor.

I think a static step should be enough for such a case since the strain rate is really low.

Right, but the fact that the OP wants to carry out a quasi-static simulation gives an impression that he may want to use a procedure similar to the ones available in Abaqus like *DYNAMIC, APPLICATION=QUASI-STATIC, *DYNAMIC, EXPLICIT (with proper set-up to obtain quasi-static solution) or *VISCO (for time-dependent effects like creep) for more versatility (perhaps also other strain rates). However, *STATIC may also suffice here, as you said.

1 Like