SURFACE MESHING ERROR OCCURED IN 5 FACES:
Face 5
Face 6
Face 27
Face 30
Face 33

for more information open IGES/STEP Topology Explorer
Error creating Surface Mesh… Aborting!!

I can’t find reference to a topology explorer built in to PrePoMax, is there one I should be using? I exported this model from Solidworks as a .STEP (AP214 if it matters). Visually, the surfaces seem ok, though some are rather small. I’m not sure what to do next, and searching the forums/videos hasn’t gotten me closer to a fix.

It’s a very slender part with small details like cutouts, fillets and small faces so it’s tricky to mesh properly. If you can’t simplify the geometry, you should reduce the maximum element size significantly, at least around those details.

You can try the Tetrahedral Gmsh algorithm too, perhaps it will work better.

it’s not a problem and still meshable here.

Netgen

Gmsh

Thank you Synt, I just learned something.
I’ve been using a smaller number for minimum element size. I copied your settings except for that - I used 0.1 instead of 0.3 and it still fails. When I bumped it up to 0.3 it meshes successfully. I don’t know how the mesher works enough to speculate why that is.

Either way, I’m off to the races for now. Thank you again.

indeed, frst setting is best using default value pre-estmate and generate by PrePoMax, later t can be refined.

is it usng Netgen or Gmsh mesher? it seems these value setting still meshable.

I tired changing to 5 and 0.1 as you showed, and the mesh failed - I must have something else different.

I’m not sure how to switch between Netgen or Gmsh - nor how I would decide which to use (rookie)

i can confirm when using Netgen mesher, i tried to change value of Grading, Element per edge and curvature but still not succeed.

Gmsh mesher is fairly new implementation in PrePoMax, i’m also in learn by reading log output windows. Tetrahedral element mesh with Gmsh need to be adding, when there’s not defined then it will use Netgen as default.

to switch back to Netgen mesher, it can be simply deactivated.

2023-12-21 05_57_30-PrePoMax v2.0.0   C__Users_user_Downloads_1601_Nail2.pmx

1 Like