Limitation or bug with shell-offset and contact?

Hi all,

maybe i found a limitation or bug with shell-models and contact.
It seems by using the shell-offset (> or < 0) with contact leads to no convergence by specific geometries. Only after modifying the geometry and setting all offsets to zero, the shown model was running successful.

So I made a test-model to understand and clarify the problem.
With shell-offset >/< 0 only model 1 and 2 running successful (no matter if using tie constrain or contact). Obviously the only different are the additional “flange” faces on the top. So i used a separate section with shell-offset = 0 only for this additional surfaces. With this modification all models run successful.

Can anyone confirm this and has a solution?

Thank you

Strange. So it doesn’t converge if you just use non-zero offset for the top horizontal face (even though the bottom one already uses it) ? What if you change the way this flange is connected to the web (switch master/slave in tie constraint or use tied contact) ? I can’t test it now but it might be a CalculiX bug (not a PrePoMax one so I moved this to General questions), potentially worth reporting on the CalculiX discourse group.

Yes it doesn’t converge even if these faces have nothing to do with the contact/tie constrains.
Each part has it’s own coincident mesh, tie constraints are only used between the lower and upper parts, alternative to contact.

Switching master/slave does not help.

I am also wondering why it’s no problem to use 0,5 offset for the lower flange… The only different is that this part has fixed BCs (U123=0).

What about tied contact ? To use it just change the contact interaction property from hard to tied.

The bottom one (the one that works with offset) ? CalculiX is quite susceptible to overconstraint so this could be a reason if the upper part was fixed.

i mean switching master/slave makes no difference for tie constrain and all types of contact.

Yes the bottom one. I don’t think overconstraining is the problem because then model 1+2 would also be overconstraint (only the edges are constraint). All upper parts share the same BC: U1,U3,UR1,UR2,UR3=0 , U2= -1

What if you run a frequency analysis for the model with the top flange having a non-zero offset ? Does it fly away ?

Its a bit confusing but i think i found the reason… On the left model (which does not converge) I applied the BC U2=-1 to the middle edges which splits the upper flange-surfaces. When i apply the same BC to the outer edges, the model runs successful. Because that middle edge is part of two faces with different shell offsets (flange offset=0,5 and web offset=0), it seems to be a problem for tie constraints and contact… strange

So it’s an overconstraint issue, as I suspected. Just a weird one, triggered by shell offset. Might be worth discussing on the CalculiX forum and reporting in its GitHub repository.

Confirmed! After removing the sharing nodes from the BCs the original model works.