Inclussion of TetWild as robust mesher for complex STL/OBJ files

last day i checked the robustness of TetWild for meshing of complex STL/OBJ files. Compared to Netgen and Gmsh, it seems given promises as reported. Almost tetahedral element mesh result still in acceptable by the solver CalculiX.

Executable file size is not too big also, only below 5MB including two of dependency libraries. Mesh result in *.msh format readable by Gmsh, required to convert to quadratic before exporting to UNV or INP format.

One of example of STL files i have tested, Netgen seems to be fail to generate a mesh due to unfinished in loop. Gmsh shown capable to generates but fail at the solver by negative Jacobian.

M3.zip (31.1 KB)

What’s the benefit of including the mesher?

Hmm, it is an interesting option. Both Netgen and Gmsh indeed fail with the default settings. However, I was able to mesh the part using the Gmsh with some additional mesh settings.

The question is, how many users use .stl files at all?

It needs GMP. How to uzip lz file? 7-zip failed on WIndows 10.

thank you for interesting and still supporting STL files from the early version of PrePoMax. Standard file format such as STP or IGS is a perfect one for doing simulation, however STL file format seems more popular in distribution e.g large software of 3D modeler, part database, scanner results. It’s still usable even can be less accurate, some mesher can fit to following curved geometry which similar results based on standard files. Local mesh refinement at specific region also possible to set by user.

maybe for Blender or OpenSCAD user since it has supported parametric 3D modeling and popular.

please ask to GitHub discussion regarding installation, i’m still using the old ones of TetWild which bit slower, and it did not include surface mesher of TriWild.