Geometry Orientation Query

Hi - Is it possible to change orientation of the imported geometry please ? An example is below where the bolt is not in the correct position as it is supposed to be in the hole where the cut-out is shown ? I did try moving the .STEP file in the CAD tool, but prepomax still imports it in the wrong direction ??

Yes, after meshing you can use Model → Part → Transform → Rotate. FreeCAD could also help you with that. It’s likely just a matter of export settings.

However, if it is a part in a Compound, it will pull/distort the mesh nodes - see plate rotated (below).

That’s one of the reasons why it’s best to ensure proper placement and orientation of the parts before exporting them to STEP. Most CAD software should be able to handle this.

Did you import all parts as an assembly or individual parts?

I was not aware that step assembly files could be stored in such a way that when opened, there is a need to transform the part from the local to the global coordinate system (which seems to be the case here). I was under the impression that absolute coordinates are only used.

Thank you too all for replies - much appreciated :slight_smile: