Frictional Contact Setup

Good day all,

I am encountering some difficulty setting up a contact (with friction) between a shaft which is free to rotate and translate within a bush. The shaft is fixed on one end and pulled on the opposite end. The plate and bush are a compound part and the plate is fixed on 2 edges. There is no rigid body motion.

Should I be setting up Surface Interaction (with Surface Behavior - Hard) and Frictional Contact ?
Apologies if this seems obvious to others, but it’s quite different to what I am used to on commercial software.

These are the results (exaggerated) that I am getting

Check the results with the deformation scale factor set to 1. Request and examine variables related to contact. Try with different values of friction coefficient and also with frictionless contact. Make sure that meshes and master/slave surface assignments obey the rules for this algorithm.

Looks like you have modeled the connection with some interference between Bolt and Washer. It is resolved in the first step and master and slave opens to adjust positions.
Tha’s why you see that effect. If the Stud is free to slide inside the washer you should add some small clearance.