Error creating a section

I’m doing an analysis with a solid part being constrained by a surface part. Both meshed well, but I’m unable to create a section. When I try to create a section for the solid part it tells me"
“The section type and the section region are not compatible”

I plan to twist the solid body until it contacts the surface body and apply torque until it yields. The surface body should be considered rigid.

I expect I’ve made a rather basic error, but I can’t seem to find it

That’s because the “solid” part is recognized as a surface part on import and meshed with shell elements.

1 Like

Thank you - I’d exported them both at the same time from CAD and imported them from a single STEP file. I re-exported them one at a time from CAD and they came in well. I’m able to create a section now.

Could you advise on a better approach?
The analysis doesn’t converge and my setup seems a bit convoluted.

I want to test this solid to find at what force it will plasticly deform, and what areas deform first. I’ll repeat the test with two other geometries to create a comparison of strength.
I’ve created a simplified shell that it should limit it’s motion, but I’m concerned the way I’ve done that is incorrect.

I created a shell section and added a rigid constraint to a reference point. Later I added a boundary condition that fixed it in place.

I then searched for contacts that are less than the starting distance apart. It found 5 appropriate pairs.

The solid part has torque applied through a reference point, and has a light force to keep it engaged with the rigid shell.

The mesh on the solid is probably far too fine as well, but I’ll come back to that once my setup has improved.

It won’t work this way due to initial rigid body motions which are not allowed in static analyses. You should fix all RBMs of both parts. Contact is often insufficient for that, especially when there are initial gaps. There are multiple ways to handle this but the most common ones are using prescribed displacement/rotation instead of force/torque, making sure that contact is established before applying the actual loading or even using soft springs to stabilize some problematic directions.

Start from a simple shaft subjected to torsion, add similar features like here and try to get it working. Then proceed to this complex model.

if contact doesn’t change and friction is not needed, maybe compression only constraints could be used for this.

Animation24

1 Like

PrePoMax only supports imports of assembles from .step files as shells or as solids. Mixed assembly files are not supported. Mixed file assemblies are recognized as shells.