Custom Unit System

Hi,

is it possible to have a custom unit system?
For example i want to have mm, kg, s, K or mm, kg, s, °C

Can it be somewhere overwritten in default config files etc.?

Kind regards,

No, a custom unit system is not possible. However, another consistent unit system might be added in the future.

That would be awesome as i am creating the mesh in mm for thin walled profiles and the loads are usually just in kg/Newtons, Tempreture in Kelvin.

The idea was that a unit system must be consistent.

1 Like

Hi,

are there mm/Kg instead of mm/Tonne or am I just not seeing them?

No, as Matej said above, only consistent unit systems are predefined. You can use Unitless and match the units yourself (like in Abaqus) though. Still, they will have to be consistent to give proper results.

but there are m/kg and m/ton for meter units but only mm/ton for millimeter units? Is millimeter a special unit for this software?

Check this thread: How to Custom Units

The thing is that derived units may become counterintuitive with some combinations of base units. But you can also see there that it’s possible to use kg for inputs and they will be converted to tonnes.

1 Like

yes the auto conversion works quite good.
For me in machine construction it would make more sense to have mm for the mesh size and kg for the loads. Don´t know who works with tons : )

Abaqus users who are used to this SI(mm) system’s quirk:

units

ok thanks understand now. Anyway conversion works great.

below another units i miss and requested, old device or textbook still use kgf.cm units of measurement.

FE_Units_kgf_cm