Viewing Strain energy results

Hi,
first of all thank you all for the support. this is the best open source FEA software.
I’m running static analysis and in order to find mesh size convergence I’m used to review the strain energy as a tool to find the results convergence. I couldn’t find such result option in prepomax.
Thanks,
Oren

You can request element output of ENER which is energy density. But there is also ERR - extrapolation error estimator for stress calculations if you are interested in mesh convergence studies.

1 Like

I tried to find how to create such result in the user manual, but with no success. it is not clear enough.
what are the steps in the software to create ENER or ERR?

It’s defined in the FE Model tab, before running the analysis. Under step you can find History Output. Select Element output and the aforementioned variable. Then run the simulation.

I couldn’t find ERR in the list.

And by totals - it sum up the total of the selected elements? I understand the option yes and no . but what is only?

I’m ready to volunteer and help to improve the user manual. it will save you a lot of questions.

ERR is available in field output. ENER too. It depends on how you want to view them. Field output creates contour plots while history output is for tabular results. In this case, you may want to use field output for both variables.

Total set to Only means that only the sum for all selected elements will be written.

1 Like