How can I plot the internal and kinematic energy in PrePoMax?

Hello,
I hope you are doing well.

As you know, there is a possibility to plot the internal and kinematic energy after finishing a simulation. Does anyone know how I can plot them in PrePoMax?

You can request it in history output - choose Element Output and the following variables:

  • ELSE - internal energy
  • ELKE - kinetic energy
3 Likes

Dear @FEAnalyst, Thank you so much for your help.

ELKE - kinetic energy is not working after a Steady State Dynamics Analysis. Versions tested: 2.2.0 and 2.2.10.

Can you supply an example .pmx file?

kineticenergytest_v2p2p0.pmx (1.6 MB)

Do you have an idea? Do you think you can have a look at the pmx file?
Thank you.

The energy is written in the .dat file but PrePoMax will not read it correctly. I will have to update the .dat file reader to make it available in the GUI.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Hi, I managed to extract this data from the *.dat file directly into Matlab which turned out to be even more convenient. Thank you.

I’ve noticed that ELKE is still not read from the .dat files by PrePoMax (regardless of the type of analysis). Any chance you could fix it ?

1 Like

I have added support for kinetic energy in the Steady state dynamic step.

2 Likes

Thanks. Can it read ELKE from the results of *DYNAMIC steps too?

1 Like

Yes, it also works for a dynamic step.

1 Like

Great, I’ll check it later.

1 Like

It is added in the v2.6.2 dev version, which is not yet public.

1 Like

Is the problem solved?