The applied loads in newtons do not seem to match

Hi everyone, I work at an engineering studio in Switzerland and we recently downloaded your program to test. We did a comparison with the results obtained with ansys, and it seems that there is an error in the increase of forces. When applying the equivalent seals in the two softwares: F1 50000, F2 86602 your software returns me a value of 820 mpa in the center of the beam and a deformation of 15mm. Ansys returns me the value of 8 mpa and 0.15mm. It looks like the N load applied to your software is being multiplied by 100x. I redid the analysis in your software reducing the loads by 100x and the results of the two softwares were the same.

It’s a very common mistake. You applied a concentrated force to a face which results in multiple nodes being loaded with the same specified value of the force. You should use the surface traction load instead - it spreads the force uniformly so that the whole face gets the given magnitude of the force, not the magnitude times the number of nodes on that face.

1 Like

I updated the simulation by changing the strength as suggested, and the results of the two software are identical, this is impressive for a free software. The only thing that surprised me a little was the names given to the links of forces, I believe that the most used should be at the top of the list.

1 Like

Well, you might be right. For a user, the best ordering of loads should be from the most commonly used to the ones that are not used often. But this is not always easy to determine for all loads and users might have different preferences.

Right, some users may work mainly with loads applied to reference points of rigid body constraints. Also, concentrated force and moment are basic loads in CalculiX while surface traction is a derived load based on concentrated forces and specific to PrePoMax.