Problem when a force is applied at the nodes

Hello everyone.

First of all, it’s my first time participating in this group. Thank the PrePoMax developer team for such an excellent Software. I have mainly used it as a tool in my teaching. Mainly in the area of machine design.

The stated problem is that when simulating a structural part (counterweight for tractor) by means of a static analysis and applying the boundary conditions and the only load as surface traction, the results obtained are the following:

but when I apply the load as a concentrated force the results are as follows:

As can be seen, the displacement results are too different, as are the stress results (not shown in this post).

I hope they review this and the problem is corrected.

thanks for your help.

It’s not a bug, that’s how the concentrated force load works (also in Abaqus) - the specified force is applied to each node on the selected surface. Thus, it should be used to apply force to reference points of rigid body constraints. If you want to apply force to a surface, use surface traction instead. It uniformly distributes the load over the selected surface.

1 Like

This is a common misinterpretation when you move from some other commercial software to PrePoMax.

The force names are actually similar to those in the commercial Abaqus package. To help with the issue, a description is shown at the bottom of the Load window, which states that the force specified is the force that will be applied per node of the selected item.

1 Like