Results not showing for a compound part unless pressing animation button

I’m having a weird situation with prepomax 1.3.4 and also 1.3.2.
Initially I ran a simple Thermal model, it finished in 5 seconds and went to results and there was nothing there. zoom fit doesn’t even zoom to anything. I then re arranged the model in solidworks and re-exported. Same thing. The model unfortunately I can’t share. but I will keep messing around with what is going on.

Anyway, I continued looking into the problem. I restarted my computer. Same issue. The model has 4 parts in a compound. I decided to then create a simple cylinder with two temperatures at either end. That worked. I re-opened my more complex part and removed the 3 simple parts which are just cylinders and that worked. It only doesn’t work when I have a compound for whatever reason.

I think that you can’t select more than 1 part as solid section maybe? but then I use the play button and the results do appear. Let me test this theory of selecting 3 separate solid sections even though its the same material.

Ok, that’s a nope. Separate sections still makes a result that can only be seen if you press the play button. I’m on both 1.3.4, and 1.3.2, but this was tested on 1.3.4. I’ll test each part separately

Parts separately work OK. Interestingly two separate parts in space as a compound can be tested if you apply two temperatures on two different faces. That was interesting actually.

Tested by compounding 1 of the smaller parts to the other larger one and that again produced invisible results. However I was just using the smaller parts to slice the larger model to add temperatures are contact regions. I’ve decided to just go with a single large part and that seems to work OK. I’ll report back if it happens again.

Possibly try with a simple test model that you can share here for debugging.

Yeah, here I am again. I really need it to work, but it really doesn’t even with this much refined high quality model made of a cube and a cylinder.

test_assy.pmx (3.8 MB)

The act of creating a compound part makes the results invisible. However if you press the play button, then they become visible.

I have tested your model and cannot recreated the problem. After re-running the analysis the openning the results everything is as it should be.

But you have a pmx file that contains results of another geometry. This geometry is on another position in terms of global coordinate system. So it is not shown if Zoom to fit is not used. Is this cousing the problem?

Maybe its one of those video card issues. Unfortunately I can’t upgrade the drivers since they are up to date on both work computers.

The only other thing I can think of is the materials library. I’ve been carrying it since a few releases so I can use the same materials on new parts. I’ll try to use the material that came with the latest release and see if that works.

I don’t think it is an issue with the graphics drivers. The materials should also not affect the results.

Can you describe the steps to reproduce the behaviour? Work with the file you uploaded.

for good measure I created a new file using freecad.
simple_test_2.pmx (646.2 KB)
simple_test_assy.zip (22.2 KB)

The process is as follows:
1)create a cube
2)create a cylinder that is inside the cube
3) export as STEP

Open PrePoMax and in a new file import the step file
Create a compound part from the two parts
Mesh the compound part
Go to the FE model, use two different materials and assign one to each part by creating a separate section from each part (I will check to see if this is relevant)
create a heat transfer step
assign two temperature BC’s one to each part (I will check to see if this is relevant)
create and run the analysis

after this, the results are invisible and you can see them if you click the play button.

I recorded the process in this video:

0001-1533.zip (4.0 MB)

I used blender to make the video as small as possible, I hope it works on your end Matej.

I was able to get my video card driver upgraded but still the same story. The results are hidden if I use a compound part. I was running NVIDA driver 417, now its 517.

So far the only solution I’ve found is to forget about the compound part. Create the compound part, export it as a STEP file, re-import it, and finally use contact pairs to bond everything as needed. It doesn’t seem to take much more time for the simple geometry I am working with.

Ahh… Famous last words. It is much much slower. 84 seconds vs 3 seconds. Still relatively Okay.

Thank you for all the testing, files and descriptions. I will try to reproduce this behavior tomorrow.

I can confirm the bug in the PrePoMax version 1.3.4. And I can confirm that it works OK in the developer version v1.3.5. A release version will be added in a couple of days.

1 Like