Use of Shells, Solids & Ties in one Example

I was interested to implement the usage of shells and solids in a single analysis and using ties to assemble it all together.

I downloaded a jib crane 3d model from Grabcad (screenshot below) and went about simplifying the model in CAD software as follows:

• deleted the bearings and bolts
  • removed radius’ and cleaned up the geometry
  • extracted mid-surfaces of all the plate work, but left the shafts as solids

Then imported the cad step model to PrePoMax and went about adding all the required parameters and used TIEs to assemble it.

Firstly, I was impressed to see that version 1.3.3 is a lot more stable than previously and happy to report that results correlated somewhat to other commercial software that I used to compare. Obviously there were some differences in the stress concentration regions.

Things I would have liked, but was unable to do in PrePoMax

• 1D elements to use as bolts
  • split/divided some of the surfaces in order to apply smaller boundary conditions. The issue is that unless you split a surface into separate parts in CAD, the step model does not translate the split faces into PrePoMax
  • I wasn’t able to apply a frictional contact between the two flanges - kept getting a negative Jacobian error (but this could have been my lack of correct usage)

Below are screenshots from other commercial software, as comparison:

Tie constraint are very good for interfaces between different types of elements. However, in some cases it’s better to use tied contact to connect shells and solids:

Very nice example. I would worry about the difference in displacement, it looks too much. Could you share the prepomax model and geometry to check it?

@SergioP1975
Yeah, sure. I have uploaded to WeTransfer.

Download link
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/92b1961d2b1b379b6f8f07589ae415f420220725153028/f2e594e363b8e35d795823ac5a72dfcf20220725153107/e0fa7c

Hello Mr Arnie, could you please share the file again, i just to try the WeTransfer link and is outdated. I like to see the file to learn more about.

Best regards
Manuel Fermín Fonseca

Hi @manuelf

Sure, see the WeTransfer download link below.

Download link
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7ec0e6fcc9efe880d13fed61a6b00a1a20220920160059/329d08705350724222bb84088772d6e720220920160100/448fbf

Thanks you sir. I’ll study it.

Hi Arnie, @arnie Could you please send a link to this model. The reason for results deviation could be that " calculix use a standard shape function for first order elements" , The commercial finite element tools add ingredients to make them stable, which are rarely documented , to these element formulations. could you please re-run the model with S8 elements and check the results again.

@roopesh
Sure, here you go. Just note that it was analysed using version 1.4.0, so I don’t think it will open in the latest versions.

Not sure how long it will stay up on WeTransfer though, so grab it asap.

The size of the file can be reduced if you remove the results:

JibCrane-Midsurfaces-Solids.pmx (7.8 MB)

1 Like

I can confirm the file cannot be opened in the new version of PrePoMax. I have fixed the problem in the code, and I am sharing the file saved in the development version of v2.0.3 that can also be opened in the release version 2.0.0.

JibCrane-Midsurfaces-Solids_v2.0.3.pmx (7.8 MB)

Thanks @Matej

Today, I would probably set it up a little differently. For example, now that you have implemented ‘Compression Only’ BC in PrePoMax, I would apply this on the bracket (wall) rather than the X-displacement = 0.

yes, i faced some issues with the reference nodes of rigids.

Calculix documentation says , *TIE is not allowed between shells and solids. ( Shells have rotational DOF , whereas solids have translational DOF only). Could someone advice me how to tie shell and solids with calculix?

Don’t trust this part of the documentation. It’s outdated or too restrictive because tie constraints work fine with 2D elements. You can also try tied contact.

@FEAnalyst Thank you for the feedback

@Matej i would like to report a Bug. Tie contacts after deletion exist in the database. also you will find that this model if exported cant be read back properly.

Hi @arnie i think the reason behind results deviation could be Ansys using NLGEOM by default. Also i believe the loads are significant enough for NLGEOM to be activated. I did try to run your model with NLGEOM on but it doesn’t seems to converge. ( I think the culprit is the Tie contact) .

update- 15th Jan

@arnie I Think results are close.(pattern is different) Could you please run the Ansys simulation with second order elements and NLGEOM off . ( however i could not converge the solution with NLGEOM on.)

After trying i can say, the model does not converge if NLgeom=ON because of the connections between rigid body constraints and shell elements. It can be seen in the picture, the simulation runs successful when fixing the lower edge, but does not converge when fixing the upper edge. (The model has no contact only tied- and rigid body constraints).
If these two flanges where made of solid elements, i am sure the nonlinear analyses would converge.