Archard wear simulation using "PrePoMax v2.0.11 dev"

Good evening, Using “PrePoMax v2.0.11 dev”, I have replicated the wear analysis present on the youtube channel, PrePoMax & CalculiX - Wear analysis ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tHW6A3IRjA&t=601s ).

But when i run the simulation i’m getting an error message shown in the picture below.** How do i Fix it?

NB: All other simulation are giving correct results except “this wear analysis” simulation.

What if you expand the Details ?

Can you share the file with this analysis ?

as a new user, I’m not allowed to upload an attachment. Is there any other alternative?

You can upload the file on some hosting website and share the link here.

The wear analysis procedure changed slightly, so it must be prepared differently. But the error you get is still storage. Sharing the file will be the best way forward.

here is the link to the file.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WqF9YF4u0OEco3uWH-nLat7_bGeARzid?usp=drive_link

kindly share on what was changed sir.

Any suggestions on where i got it wrong?

You found a bug. The problem is that, currently, mesh smoothing does not work with linear finite elements. So you have two options: set the number of smooth steps to 0 (Model → Edit → Wear smooth steps = 0) or use a slower one to use parabolic finite elements. In the Geometry module, select the Meshing parameters and set Second order = Yes.

I will fix the bug in the next developer version.

1 Like

Thank you, the simulation is now able to converge. I really appreciate! In the next edition kindly include the wear modes and mechanism. If the software kind be able to kindly show the modes and mechanisms after simulation, would make numerical wear simulation a completed work.

I do not understand what you mean by wear model nad mechanism.

When we conduct wear analysis experiment in the lab, examination of the surfaces reveals wear modes and mechanism. The modes can be analysed virtually while the mechanisms require a microscope.

In the wear simulation, you did on youtube. We are able to measure wear depth etc… But we cannot visually see modes and mechanisms, like scratching of the sleeve surface, etc.

Wear modes refer to the specific types of wear that can occur on a material’s surface. Common wear modes include: abrasion, adhesion, etc

Wear mechanisms describe the processes or phenomena that result in material removal or surface damage during wear. These mechanisms are often more detailed and specific than wear modes. Common wear mechanisms include: microcutting, ploughing, spalling, surface fatigue etc

Ok, I understand. I don’t think a simulation can predict such things, but please correct me if I am wrong. We are using the Archard wear model, which does not have these elements integrated, so probably another model would be necessary, and additional material data would be needed.

Yes you are right a different model would be needed

And are there any other models that can predict what you wrote?

#MSC hexagon software come close to doing it but if not fully improved

At the moment, but professor Roland Larsson of Lulea university is trying to work on something that can do this work. , for if you do the simulation of a “ball-on plate” in the laboratory using a tribometer, you create a wear track or a wear scar… From which you can measure mass loss, wear volume, visualize stresses, friction coefficient,…but for morphology analysis we take it to the microscope for analysis, etc.

Maybe this document will help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14V21NRuHvgsBpWj2mT–mi1zLQIN81iZ/view?usp=sharing