A developer/preview PrePoMax version v1.3.5 has been released

For testing purposes, a developer version of PrePoMax version v1.3.5 has been released. Please use it for testing purposes only.

https://prepomax.fs.um.si/downloads/

I have added support for Imported pressure load from OpenFOAM analysis. In order to import the pressure, an empty file with extension .foam must be created in the OpenFOAM results folder (as for viewing the results with ParaView).

A preview feature was added that supports previewing uniform, hydrostatic and imported pressure loads.

Multi-result support was added that supports having multiple results open simultaneously. Currently, they cannot be observed side by side. Sorry.

Shortcut icons for displaying or hiding the undeformed results were added.

Since many code lines were changed for these features, some bugs might exist. Please report them as soon as possible to enable the release of a stable PrePoMax version.

5 Likes

Minor bug: if a result and model are hided (either by “Hide all parts” or “Invert visible parts”) everything but maximum value and corresponding node ID is hidden. Minimum value and all annotations are hidden correctly.

New minor bug:

1. Open results for two parts of different scale (say, characteristic length of the first part is 200 mm, for the second one - 20 mm).
  2. Scale each result properly and select proper view angles manually.
  3. Switch between results. New result is shown using scale and view parameters of the previous one (e.g. small part is shown using too large scale or big part is shown using too small scale). It means scale and view parameters set by a user for a particular result are not saved.

The bug has been fixed.

1 Like

I would not say it is a bug. More a design decision. The view is not saved at all. The reason was that usually, results of the same component are compared. And in this case, the same view and scale are preferred in all results. But comparing differently sized parts is not gonna work. I thought of calling “Zoom to fit” each time the results change, but it was confusing when results of the same component with different displacements were compared (the automatic scale factor uses displacements to compute the deformation scale factor).

Comparison of the different results for the same part is not the only scenario when the multiple results view can be is used. When submodeling is used, usually a user prefer to see the result for the whole model in a one window and the same result for the submodel(s) only. A submodel always has much smaller scale than the main structure. The same situation with different scales we have when the result for an assembly and its separate parts are compared.
As I mentioned, this “design feature” is a minor inconvenience for an ordinary PPM user. In the worst case, he or she can run several instances of PPM and view results separately.

I would like to make the multi-result feature as useful as possible. After some testing, I decided on the same view for all results. But I see your point on different scales when analysing assemblies or sub-modelling results. When post-processors offer multiple views at the same time, there is a possibility to link views together. Maybe something like that could be added in PrePoMax.

By default, each result could have its own view. And there would be an option to link the views if needed.